Women's Business Enterprise Council South
- Woman-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE) Certification
- Certification Designation: WBE
- Race Conscious: No
- Gender Conscious: YES
- Re-Certification: Annual
- Graduation: None
- Approval Timeline: 60-90 Days
- Cost: $350-$1,000 For Certification/Re-Certification (Based on annual sales)
- Website: www.wbenc-south.org
Overview (Download PDF)
Women’s Business Enterprise Council South (WBEC South) works with the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) to connect WBENC-Certified Women's Business Enterprises (WBEs) with WBENC's Corporate Members and WBEC South's Corporate Partners to facilitate real time business opportunities at the local level.
WBENC is also an approved Third Party Certifier for the United States Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Federal Contracting Program. This designation gives WBEC South the accreditation needed to process WBE WOSB applications. WBEC South does not charge a fee to WBENC Certified WBEs that qualify for the WOSB Certification. You must be a current WBENC Certified WBE in order to have your WOSB application processed by WBEC South.
Benefits of WBE certification:
- Gain exposure by exhibiting at WBENC’s national business conference, attended each year by hundreds of corporate supplier diversity professionals
- Be included in an online database used by corporate members and other certified women-owned businesses across the country to find talented suppliers
- Meet, mingle, commiserate and do business with other talented professional women business owners
- Identify new targets with access to a current list of supplier diversity and procurement executives at thousands of major U.S. corporations
- Strengthen marketing efforts by featuring the WBENC member seal on company promotional materials
- Receive regular emails highlighting new sourcing opportunities from WBENC
- Compete to receive a Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship to continue your executive management education
- Participate in the Tuck-WBENC Executive Program, a five-day executive development program to help you grow and expand your business
- The applicant company must be "small" in its primary industry in accordance with SBA's size standards for that industry.
- The applicant company must be at least fifty-one percent (51%) unconditionally and directly owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens
- Management and daily operation must be controlled by one or more of the women owners
- The women owners must make long-term decisions for the business
One of the criteria below must also be true for CORPORATIONS ONLY:
- Women must make up 51% of the voting power, sit on the Board AND have enough voting power to overcome any supermajority requirement
- Women must make up a majority of the Board of Directors OR have a majority of the Board votes through weighted voting
Firms seeking WBE and WOSB certification:
- Must have a Dun & Bradstreet DUNS Number (www.dnb.com)
- Must be registered in the System for Award Management (www.sam.gov)
- 1. Gather all of the required documents prior to beginning the online application. For documents that do not apply to your company, please provide a written explanation stating which documents do not apply and why.
2. Review your legal and financial information to ensure that your documents support woman/women ownership and control.
3. VERY IMPORTANT! Have the owner send a test e-mail to the database firstname.lastname@example.org. In response, she should receive an "out-of-office" e-mail. If she does not, please have your IT representative ensure that e-mails from email@example.com can be received.
4. Register online at www.wbenc.org using the owner’s contact information. The owner's complete e-mail address will be automatically assigned as the User ID for the application. Create a password. Save your user ID and password, it will be needed once certification is granted to access your profile and certificate.
5. Complete the online certification application. This application will become your company's resume once certification is granted. Please type in upper and lower case letters and be as thorough as possible.
- The application will open when registration is complete.
- Answer ALL questions with a red asterisk to save the page.
- Do not answer questions that are not applicable to your company.
- If you do not know the answer to a specific question, enter an answer in the correct format that the question requires as a place holder. You can save and return to the application to update later as long as you do NOT submit the application.
- Then you complete the last page of the application, the Summary View will automatically open to allow you to print the application and the Sworn Affidavit. DO NOT SUBMIT the application until you have reviewed it for accuracy. Once you submit, you will not be able to make changes.
- Within 24 hours of submitting the online application, the Company Owner and Company Contact will receive an automated e-mail notification with the name of your assigned Regional Partner Organization (WBEC South), the address to mail documents, and the fee. This information also appears at the top of the printed Summary View. Contact WBEC South for the appropriate fee.
6. Mail your application processing fee, required documents, Summary View, sworn affidavit that has been signed by the female owner and notarized by a 3rd party, and WBENCLink User Agreement 3.7, by certified mail, UPS or FedEx to WBEC South.
Download the WBE Certification Required Documents PDF (6 pgs.)
Please note that when you click to begin the online application, you are leaving www.wbenc.org and going to a password secured, proprietary database www.wbenclink.org. Should you need to save your application and wish to return to it, make sure you return to www.wbenclink.org and use the gray box at the top right to log in. However, to register, you must use the link located at the bottom of www.wbenclink.org.
Go to the WBE Registration and Certification Portal
Agency contact information is included in the PDF Overview above.