LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Small and Emerging Business Development (SEBD) Certification
- Certification Designation: SEBD
- Race Conscious: NO
- Gender Conscious: NO
- Re-Certification: None
- raduation: 10 Years
- Approval Timeline: 72 Hours
- Cost: Free
- Website: www.opportunitylouisiana.com
OVERVIEW (Download PDF)
The Louisiana Department of Economic Development’s (LED) Small and Emerging Business Development (SEBD) Program provides the managerial and technical assistance training needed to grow and sustain a small business.
- Provides for developmental assistance, including entrepreneurial training, marketing, computer skills, accounting, business planning, and legal and industry-specific assistance
- Eligibility for the Bonding Assistance Program
- Consideration for bidding on select products or services purchased by state agencies
- SEBD Intermediaries provide a free needs assessment and assistance with accessing other program benefits
The program is open to all Louisiana small businesses that meet the following eligibility requirements for both the business and the owner. Certification is effective for up to 10 years or until the firm no longer meets the eligibility requirements for the program.
Small and Emerging Business Person
For the purposes of the program, a person who meets all criteria in this section is defined as a Small and Emerging Business Person.
- Citizenship – The person is a U.S. citizen or legal resident
- Louisiana Residency – The person has been a Louisiana resident for at least one year
- Net Worth – At least 51 percent of the business is owned and controlled by persons who individually have a net worth of less than $400,000, excluding personal residence, business assets and retirement accounts
- Full-Time Employment – Managing owners who claim Small and Emerging Business Person status must be full-time employees of the applicant firm (20 or more hours per week)
Small and Emerging Business
For the purposes of the program, a business that meets all criteria in this section is defined as a Small and Emerging Business.
- Ownership and Control – At least 51 percent of the company is owned and controlled by one or more Small and Emerging Business Persons
- Principal Place of Business – The firm’s principal place of business is Louisiana
- Lawful Function – The company has been organized for profit to perform a lawful, commercially useful function
- Business Net Worth – The business’ net worth does not exceed $1.5 million
- Job Creation – An applicant firm anticipates creating new full-time jobs
Complete the online application at www.ledsmallbiz.com. LED will review completed applications within 72 hours of submittal. You will receive an email notification after review that acknowledges your application status. Along with an acceptance notification, approved applicants will receive a certification number, a list of SEBD Intermediaries, and instructions on how to print the SEBD certificate.
Agency contact information is included in the PDF Overview above.