Housing Authority of New Orleans
- HANO Section 3 Business Certification
- Certification Designation: Section 3 Business
- Race Conscious: NO
- Gender Conscious: NO
- Re-Certification: Annual
- Graduation: None
- Approval Timeline: 10-Business Days
- Cost: Free
- Website: www.hano.org
OVERVIEW (Download PDF)
Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Act of 1968 that helps foster local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency. The Section 3 program requires that recipients of certain HUD financial assistance, to the greatest extent feasible, provide job training, employment and contracting opportunities for low- or very-low income residents in connection with projects and activities in their neighborhoods. More information on the Section 3 program is included on the HUD Section 3 Business page of this site.
In order to meet the requirements of the Section 3 provision, the Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO) grants full certification up to one (1) year to Orleans Parish businesses that meet Section 3 business certification eligibility requirements.
Those businesses that qualify to receive a Section 3 Business Certification include:
- Business concerns that are 51% or more owned and controlled by residents of any HANO housing site or whose full-time permanent workforce includes 30% of HANO residents of any housing site; or
- HUD Youthbuild programs in Orleans Parish; or
- Business concerns that are 51% or more owned and controlled by HANO residents or are low or very low-income Orleans Parish residents or whose full-time permanent work force includes 30% HANO residents or low/very low-income Orleans Parish residents; and
- Businesses that subcontract in excess of 25% of the total amount of subcontracts to business concerns identified in the preferences above.
The Orleans Parish income limit table is included in the PDF above.
Download and complete Section 5: Section 3 Business Certification Requirements included in HANO’s DBE Program Certification Application. Submit the application and supporting documents to HANO’s Section 3/DBE/WBE Office.
The HANO DBE/WBE Certification application
The application is also available online at:
Agency contact information is included in the PDF Overview above.